Tuesday 6 April 2010

DEMON WARRIORS

MAYBE CONTAINS SPOILERS, BUT I'M NOT SURE BECAUSE I'M THICK AND I DIDN'T REALLY UNDERSTAND IT

A darkly shot, visually impressive Thai supernatural horror movie with a body count of about eighty thousand: unfortunately it's wilfully obscure and I'm not sure I entirely followed the details of what was going on.

Broadly, Demon Warriors tells of the world of the Opapatika: if you commit suicide in this world you are reborn into a grimy dystopian netherworld in which you are granted special powers. Our newly arrived hero, gifted with the power of intuition (but at the price of his existing senses) is assigned by the mysterious Mr Sadok to find four of these other Opapatika and an enigmatic young woman, for obviously nefarious purposes. I think - and I'm not sure about this - that he manages to get them all together in the same room, despite the efforts of Mr Sadok's army sidekick, who has access to untold legions of disposable goons when instructed to kill an immortal Opapatika by firing machine guns at him.

Quite why he bothers when he knows the guy is unkillable, I don't know. Nor do I know how the hero manages to function entirely as normal in fight scenes when suddenly deprived of sight, smell and hearing, not to mention losing the power of speech. As an evening's rental it's not terrible: there's plenty of death and violence, gore and bloodshed, and CGI demons, but it would have been really nice to know what was actually going on.

**

No comments: